Frequently Asked Questions
Can the ShotKam be shipped internationally?
Yes, we ship internationally using FedEx International Priority. We do not have distributors outside the USA.
IMPORTANT: The international shipping cost does not include import fees. The ShotKam (digital video camera) falls under the Harmonized Tariff code: 852 580.1990.
Target Setting Specifications:
The default setting is "Paper Targets," but other target types are available through the ShotKamPro app.
- Sleep Mode = Starts once there is no activity for 30 seconds. The Sleep Mode uses very little battery power. Either press the power button, close the slide, or bump the gun to awaken camera and begin a recording.
- "Normal" Recording Time = 2 seconds before the first recoil and 2 seconds after the last recoil. The camera records video through a memory buffer, but only saves the important section of video (2 seconds pre-shot, then 2 seconds post-shot).
- All shots taken within 8 seconds of each other will be saved on the same video. The ShotKam will continue recording video until there are no shots for 8 seconds, then end the recording.
- Sleep Mode: Begins after 30 seconds of inactivity. Close your action or bump the stock of the gun to waken the camera (solid green LED).
- "Normal" Recording Time: 2 seconds pre-shot, 1 second post-shot.
- Any two clays shot within 6 seconds of each other will be saved on the same video. The camera is designed to wait for the true or report pair.
- Sleep Mode: Begins after 60 seconds of inactivity. Either close the shotgun action or bump the stock of the gun to begin your recording (solid green LED). The camera will save the video if there is a recoil.
- "Normal" Recording Time: 3 seconds pre-shot, 3 seconds post-shot.
- Any shots taken within 9 seconds of each other will be saved on the same video.
- Sleep Mode: Begins after 300 seconds of inactivity (5 minutes). Either press the power button or bump the stock of the gun to begin your recording (solid green LED). The camera will save the video if there is a recoil.
- "Normal" Recording Time: 6 seconds pre-shot, 20 seconds post-shot.
- Any shots taken within 10 seconds of each other will be saved on the same video.
How do I start a recording?
The ShotKam has an accelerometer which registers forces (acceleration in the X, Y, and Z direction) to filter out the critical section of your shot. When the action of your gun is closed, the camera starts to record a video through a memory buffer (temporary holding place). Once the ShotKam feels the recoil of the gun, it saves the video from the memory buffer onto the memory card. All excess video before and after the shot will be deleted.
Is it weatherproof?
The ShotKam is 100% weatherproof when the rubber cap is on to cover the USB port. It is not submersible. The lens should be cleaned with a soft cloth after exposure to rain.
Is this an action camera?
No, it is an accelerometer-controlled aiming system (ACAS) video camera. It was developed by an engineer with expertise in military laser-targeting systems, and is designed for high shock and vibration environments. The ShotKam has a patented recoil absorption system which is combined with an accelerometer. This allows the ShotKam to buffer and only record-to-memory the few seconds before, during, and after the discharge of bows or firearms. It records video in HD 1080p at 100 frames per second.
Does the 4 ounce weight include the rail mounting bracket?
Yes, the camera plus the attachment mount weighs a total of 4 ounces (567 grams).
Does the ShotKam require batteries?
No, the camera has an internal rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The battery lasts 2 - 4 years and is fully covered for 1-year, then can be replaced for $40. A replacement must be done from our servicing center in Florida, USA, and includes a full Shock and Vibration test after replacement.
How does the camera adjust to varying target distances and light conditions?
The unique light-balancing technology will automatically adjust to varying light conditions, whether indoor or outdoor. The field-of-view is optimized for targets ranging from 3 to 100 yards and is equivalent to 18 degrees. The effective magnification is 4x and this is equivalent to how your eye perceives the target distance.
Does the ShotKam have Wi-Fi?
Yes, it has built-in Wi-Fi which enables you to connect your mobile device directly to the camera while at the range. Download our free mobile app called ShotKamPro from the Google Play or App Store. Once the app has been installed, turn the ShotKam's Wi-Fi ON (one yellow and one green LED), then connect to the SHOTKAM network from your mobile device's Connections page.
What is the ShotKamPro App?
The ShotKamPro app is our mobile app used for customizing your settings and aligning your reticle. It is available for both Android or iOS on any smartphone, iPad, or Tablet that is from 2013 or newer.
How are the settings changed?
Turn the ShotKam into Wi-Fi Mode (hold power button 3 + seconds until both LEDs are on.)
Open the Settings icon on your Smartphone, iPad, or Tablet.
Go to Connections > Wi-Fi > SHOTKAM.
Once connected, go back to the phone's home screen and open the ShotKamPro App.
Press on the Setting icon and change the settings. Go back to the screen where you can see what the ShotKam sees and check that the settings in the top right corner are correct.
Exit the App and turn OFF the ShotKam.
Does the camera signal that a shot has been saved?
Yes, a solid green LED will light up once the action is closed (video is recording through a memory buffer), then a blue LED will flash after the recoil to signal that the shot has been saved.